Friday, May 27, 2016

Loving the MTC

I've been looking SO forward to this day all week. I couldn't wait to hear from Sister Galli to see how her first full week has gone. As a mom you tend to experience your kids' happiness/sadness, accomplishments/failures, strengths/insecurities, etc. right along with them. I've been worried about a few things simply because I didn't know for sure and I just have to wonder how she's doing. I've been hoping that she's happy there, that she likes the sisters she is with, and she feels like she is fitting in. I've also been hoping she is enjoying the work she is doing there at the MTC, and that she is managing to have some fun. Well, with one quick email today all of my concerns, fears, and worries were put to rest.  She is thriving there and I couldn't be happier. Here it is:

5/27/16
I'M ALIVE! ;)

The MTC has been a blast!  The first few days felt like they'd never end but now that I've gotten used to the schedule, the days go by quite fast.

ANY OF YOU GOING TO THE MTC.  Make sure your first Sunday night you watch the devotional by Elder Bednar titled The Character of Christ.  It sounds like you can't watch it anywhere but the MTC.  I was unaware one 60-minute talk could change my life and my perspective so much. #ShamelessPlug
It comes down to that if you really want to be more like Christ, you need to get over yourself and serve those around you. 

'Stripes' day
My district is so great.  That's the five other girls in my dorm and me along with a companionship of elders.  May I suggest that the first thing you do at the MTC is become close with your district b/c you literally do everything together.
My district is comprised of myself, Sister Escobar (from AZ going to DC), Sister Erasmus (from Farmington going to DC), Sister Little (from CA going to London temple VC), Sister Green (from Brigham City going to London temple VC), Sister Furhiman (from Wisconsin going to another VC in London), Elder Clark (from Idaho going to Iowa), and Elder Cheshire (from Heriman going to Iowa).  They're a fun bunch and we all get along super well.  We've even started wearing our outfits that match together.  Like Tuesday, we all wore stripes, and on Wednesday we all wore pink ("On Wednesdays, we wear pink").  Our plan for Monday (Memorial Day) is to look absolutely ridiculous and wear red white and blue.  Not just one or two but all 8 of us wear all three colors.  We'll look like a fashion disaster but we're having fun :)

'On Wednesdays We Wear Pink'

Every Sunday we have a member of the Seventy (or sometimes a member of the 12) come and give a devotional.  And this last Sunday we had Elder Renlund speak :0
I had the opportunity to sing in the choir for the devotional and as the choir director said "hearts were touched and lives were changed" (granted he said it sarcastically b/c his humor is the whole reason I go).

So in the MTC, starting your second week (assuming you're speaking your native tongue) you start teaching TRC (teaching resource center) investigators.  The unique thing about them is that they can be members, non-members, less active members, anything.  All volunteers.  So some are acting and some are not and you can't tell.  
The two my companion and I got this week are named Adriana and Lin.  Adriana just moved from Chile a year ago and Lin moved from China 9 months ago.  They're both studying English at BYU but it's really hard working with that language barrier.  However, we think we've figured it out.  Figured it out to the point that we actually got one of them to commit to being baptized last night :0

It was the absolute coolest experience I think I've ever had.  To be able to teach somebody to their needs and then help them receive a witness through the Spirit that this church is true.  And that was only after 3 lessons.
The Spirit was also able to testify to me that I am where I am supposed to be doing what I'm supposed to be doing which made my heart full.

Love you all
~Sister Galli

Her district at the Provo Temple on their Sunday Temple Walk




Two of the districts in her zone.
The elder taking the picture was on the BYU basketball team and is 6'8".He was nominated as their 'selfie stick'.


She is the Online Coordinator
(there wasn't an explanation so I'm not sure what that means)

The laundry room.
She said it's huge and this is only half of it.

Her district at the temple on p-day




No comments:

Post a Comment